If you are looking for a healthy and tasty salad, you will definitely want to make this Spinach Bacon Salad. It is simple yet it has a lot of flavor. The bacon in this salad provides just the right amount of salt and flavor. Your mouth and your tummy will be so happy! In addition to the bacon the golden raisins provide a little bit of sweetness and texture to the salad and the sunflower seeds add just the right amount of crunch. I initially wanted to use sliced almonds in this salad, but I was out of them so I opted for the sunflower seeds that were in my pantry. You can’t go wrong with either choice.
For this salad I bought Organic Girl Super Spinach blend at my local grocery store. A few years ago I started buying organic fruits and vegetables. I like to buy organic whenever possible. Organic foods are so much easier to find because they are becoming more popular and are therefore more available in your local grocery store. You can certainly use any blend of greens that you prefer or just spinach all by itself.
The oh so yummy dressing is the star of the salad! It is one of the best dressings I have ever had! When you cook the bacon, make sure you save the bacon drippings as you will need the drippings for the salad dressing. The bacon drippings is definitely what makes this dressing and salad so tasty! I have recently started making my own salad dressing. It doesn’t really take that much time and fresh dressing really does taste so much better than bottled salad dressing.
This is such a versatile salad. You can serve it as a pre dinner salad, along with soup, or just all by itself for a light lunch. Try it with this awesome chili. It would also be great to have at a brunch! I hope you enjoy making and eating this salad. Let us know how you like the salad and how you incorporate it into your meals.
- 8 Strips of bacon
- 16 oz Spinach leafs (or other greens)
- 1 Cup golden raisins
- 1/2 Cup Sliced almonds
- 1/2 Cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl combine the spinach, raisins, almonds, and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp or cook in a bacon tray in the microwave (usually one minute per slice of bacon.)
- Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Let the bacon cool.
- Carefully pour 2 tablespoons of the warm drippings into a small bowl Add the vinegar, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Wisk until well combined.
- Crumble the cooked bacon over the top of the salad.
- Drizzle the warm vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
The Sisters says